The Langelinie Bridge, spanning across the railway from Østbanegade to Folke Bernadottes Allé, was originally an important arterial route for traffic to and from the Port of Copenhagen.
The Langelinie Bridge over the railroad yard from Østbanegade to Folke Bernadottes's Allé was originally an important artery for traffic to and from Copenhagen Harbour. The first bridge was built in 1894, but it gradually lost its importance for the harbour and fell into disrepair. In 1986, it was closed to cars and trucks and reserved for cyclists and pedestrians with a penchant for exercising in the green areas around Langelinie and the Citadel. The old bridge was later demolished and replaced by a temporary bridge.
When the competition for a new bridge was announced, the program specified that projects were to reflect today's structural and architectural trends so that the bridge can serve as a model for similar projects elsewhere.
The bridge was to be a calm element over the railroad yard's confusion of wires and tracks. It is seven metres wide and spans the tracks in a gentle arc. Materials that suit the surroundings were used as far as possible. The bridge itself is made of the same type of steel used for masts in the yard. The concrete ends of the bridge will be covered with ivy in time.
Find books in DAC& BOOKS/SHOP
The Age of Intelligent Cities: Smart Environments and Innovation-for-all StrategiesNicos Komninos DKR 699,00
Think/Make - Della Valle Bernheimer (New Voices in Architecture)Andrew Bernheimer, Jared Della Valle DKR 340,00
Last updated Tuesday, January 21, 2014